Students – Study to Immigrate

University of Saskatchewan
Study first, immigrate while staying here after!

Studies in Canada are a fantastic way to get you to permanent residence status, after completing a great study program which will give you a lot of advantages when applying for jobs later on.

If you study in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency through the Canadian Experience Class program.

If you study in Quebec (either in English or French, both are possible), you may be eligible to apply for Quebec Experience Program OR Quebec Skilled Worker program, which both may lead to permanent residence.

Costs of Studies

When prospective students want to come study to Canada, the first question they ask is: how much will this cost?

Tuition fees vary a lot from one university to another. The cheapest university tuitions fees are charged by Brandon University in Manitoba, with a record of 6,318 – 6,711$ per year. On the other end, universities like University of Toronto (25,944 – 32,075$ per year) or University of British Columbia in Vancouver (22,135 – 23,300$ per year) charge much higher tuitions fees.

For a complete list of Tuition Fees by University, please click here.

Quebec province has very competitive tuition fees for college and university level, and makes it easy for graduates to apply for permanent residence. Quebec province’s affordable cost of living is also a big advantage.

Private Colleges 

Registration for universities are long and tedious, and need a lot of documents. If you’d rather go a faster and more efficient way, consider private colleges. They offer shorter programs (typically 14 – 18 – 24 months) and programs start all year round. Their admission requirements are also a lot more flexible than universities. Contact us today to learn more about these colleges.

Working in Canada as an International Student

Citizenship and Immigration Canada allows International Students to work in Canada while studying. During the semester, students can work up to 20 hours per week, and an unlimited number of hours during school breaks.

Post-Graduation Work Permits for International Students
After completing your studies, you will be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit for the same duration of your studies, which is an open work permit, allowing you to work anywhere in Canada. For example, if you studies lasted 1 year, you will have a 1 year open work permit.

Permanent Residence Application for Canada VS Application for PEQ

After graduating from a Canadian college (outside of Quebec) and gaining lawful work experience, you may become eligible to apply for Canadian Experience Class program which is open for people who graduated from Canadian schools and gained the right work experience.

If you study in Quebec instead, in a program of 1800 hours or more, AND gain sufficient knowledge of spoken French (B2 level on speaking and listening), you may become eligible for the PEQ (Programme d’experience quebecoise), which is the fast track program leading to selection by Quebec province. Once you are selected by Quebec province, you can apply for Canadian permanent residency.

Study Permit Requirements

In order to come study in Canada, you must meet some requirements. You must first prove that you or your parents have the sufficient available funds to pay for your tuition fees and your daily expenses for the first year of your studies, including a return plane ticket to your country of residence.

These are the fees to obtain the study permit for Quebec province:

112$ for the application of Certificat d’Acceptation du Québec (CAQ),
and 150$ for the Canadian Study Permit.

Depending on the program you chose, you may require a COOP work permit for your work stage which is part of your studies, this COOP work permit costs 155$ and can be requested either abroad or once in Quebec.

Information on Step for Quebec Studies

There are a few steps to come study in Quebec province :

1. Admission to the school of your choice
a. Cost : depending on chosen program, can range from free up to 250$CAD or more
b. Processing time : depending on the school, usually several business days

2. Application for a Certificat d’Acceptation du Québec (CAQ) with Ministère de l’Immigration, la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI).
a. Cost : 112$CAD
b. Processing time : around 5 weeks

3. After obtaining the CAQ, you need to apply for a Study Permit for Canada with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
a. Cost : 150$CAD
b. Processing time : this varies between 2 and 24 weeks depending on country of residence and time of the year

4. Arrival in Québec and start of studies.

5. If your study program included an intership, called ‘stage’ over here, you will need to apply for a COOP work permit. You can either apply for it in your home country or once in Quebec.
a. Cost : 155$CAD
b. Processing time : from 1 to 3 month

Please note that this information is currently valid in date of September 2018 and processing time information is taken from IRCC and MIDI websites.

Please contact us today to make your dream of studying in Canada a reality.